Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Dollar Tree Addiction

Hello my friends! It's been a while since I last posted. I have a hard time remembering to post on my blog so I'm going to make an effort to try and post more often. Anyway, as you can see by the title of this post I have a serious problem: The Dollar Tree. I feel like I go to the Dollar Tree at least once a week to buy something for my students. I often force my friends to come with me and after scanning every isle of the store I finally leave when they force me to walk out of the store. I really feel like I get most of my inspiration from this place. They have so many amazing things for teachers!! I can find the weirdest things there and find some way to use them in my classroom! Here are a few of my most recent purchases. 

I've been using these eggs for counters. I have a new ELL student from Colombia who only speaks Spanish and he needs to learn as much vocab as possible ASAP so each day we use a new type of counter during math so that he can also learn a new word. He knew that these were "huevos" but now he knows that they are eggs too!


These alligator clips are the bomb diggity.  I use the for quantity discrimination and my kiddos love them because they can actually pick up the bigger number (we use them with magnetic or foam numbers) and make the alligator eat it just like they learned with the greater than sign!
 


These things. Oh man, I kid you not when I tell you that I have been to THREE dollar trees looking for these. I was at the dollar tree with my boyfriend (yes I drag him there too) and saw these after I had already checked out. We were already running late to a dinner we were headed to, so even after me begging for us to just run back and grab them he convinced me to come back later because the line was too long to wait in all over again. Well three weeks and three dollar stores late I finally found them! I've honestly been thinking about how I could use these in my classroom since I saw them that day at the dollar tree.

Here's my plan: I'm going to use them for real and nonsense ANYTHING! I've seen the "recycle the real and toss the trash" idea on pinterest a few times now. I'm going to have my kiddos differentiate between real and nonsense words, and true and false math facts using these mini garbage cans. My kids a really hands on learners and I just know they're going to love them! I'm thinking about writing words and math facts on those shamrocks and making it St. Patty's Day themed and then later on making one for Earth Day. 

 

 


I would love it if you commented with some of your favorite purchases from the dollar tree and how you use them in your classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment